“Let food be your medicine and medicine be the food.“ by Hippocrates.
The most common asked question that I get from you guys is regarding my diet. If you follow me on Insta-stories you know how much I love to enjoy treats. And when I say treats, I mean aaaaaaaany kind of treats, – chocolate, chips, cake, popcorn, pizza, pasta, wine… I loooove it all. While my indulgence are a just a tiny amount of what I usually eat on a regular day basis, I’m happy to finally share some insights on what I eat during the day & what I skip in my diet to stay fit, healthy, strong & lean.
Coming from a family where food is the center of everything, eating has always been a big part of my life. Since I was a kid, we always gathered over fabulous meals cooked by my mom and/or my dad. Over the year’s, I noticed whenever my lifestyle changed tho, so did my way of eating. I been through all the different stages… Emotional eater, stressful eater, taking care of my body, not taking care at all, to being vegetarian, even vegan, I tried to only eat raw foods, I skipped carbs … aaaaaand so on. Trust me, I tried it all. BUT all of this, – lead me to the best “diet” ever… NO DIET!!!!! Over the past 10 years I rather learned to listen to my body, how it reacts to certain kind of nutrition/food, what he likes, what he needs and what I should stay away from. We all have different needs (and issues) when it comes to nutrition. Listening closely to our body, is so essential. Understanding how food alone can heal you, produce mental clarity, balanced weight, even increase happiness is so important. I believe it is necessary to clean and nourish our body, – every day, just like we brush our teeth in the morning we should fuel our body with the food it needs in order to perform on its best.
I mean, I”m not a professional nutritionist nor a health coach, not by any means, but I can tell you what works for me. You all know I love baking, I love cooking, I looooove dining out and I would generally say I eat everything… Even those so called “bad foods” like pizza, gluten, sugar, cheese, wine etc. BUT in moderation. – The primary guiding principle of what I eat during the day is all about BALANCE! I believe that every obsessive or abusive behavior is bad for you. A well-balanced lifestyle when it comes to food to me is – 90 % NON processed, REAL FOOD & 10% treats. Wine at night, green smoothie in the morning. Pizza for lunch, healthy nutrient rich salad at night… – BALANCE IS KEY. I do cut out some ingredients on my every day eating routine though, simply bc I know they are not good for me and my health, I’ll explain which ingredients I usually skip in my “the ditch list” below.
What I eat in a day.
Right after I get up in the morning.
First thing I do after getting up, I usually kick start my system with a glass of hot lemon water, with ginger & a teaspoon of honey.
After my morning shower, I enjoy my cappuccino (no coffee, no worky) which I usually drink with almond or cashew milk.
My go to breakfast.
I try to vary my breakfast every day. Especially during winter time it usually looks like this, – a glowing green smoothie + a quick and easy warm gluten-free oatmeal bowl topped with lots of fruits, nuts and/ or almond butter… whatever I feel like that morning.
Also love gluten-free avocado toast, homemade granola, a healthy shake (if I’m in a hurry), chiaseed pudding, or simply scrambelled eggs with half of a avocado.
“In between” snacks / lunch.
During my breakfast and dinner, I am mostly on the go. While I’m usually running from A to B to one appointment, meeting or job to another, to a casting or skating session… Having the right kind of snacks on me is essential for performing with great energy.
Therefore, I always make sure to have healthy, yet energy filled snacks with me that keep me energized, full & satisfied.
Mostly I bring berries, fruits, dry fruits, nuts or energy bars with me and of course COFFEE… I always have 1 or 2 coffees’ to go!!!! I usually get a soy – latte, tall with extra love. ;)
Lunch is something that I skip and only eat occasionally. I’m mostly still full from breakfast, or I eat my many snacks and hop right onto dinner later on. If I eat lunch out I love sushi, acai-bowls, healthy bowls in general, a good salad and again, I always try to look for healthy & clean options.
When I’m at home I LOVE to cook. I usually prepare myself tons of yummy vegetables, – roasted in the oven, and pair it with my favorite choice of protein. I prefer salmon, organic chicken, or simply add feta (made out of goat) cheese. I also love Quinoa bowls, gluten-free pasta with homemade pesto, a good steak (every now and then) with roasted garlic broccoli. Basically, I cook myself something out of any kind of ingredients from my “take two list“ below.
When I eat out, those are the times when I just see how I feel that day. Sometimes I feel like a healthy salad, Thai-curry or a steak and sometimes I want pizza, a glass of wine aaaand dessert… All At Once!
I’m a night owl, if I don’t have a super early call time, I love to stay up late. I’m most productive during nighttime, most of my blog posts are written during 12 o’clock midnight and 2 am in the morning, so of course a good snack is always handy. 😉
I love homemade salty popcorn, roasted nuts – like cashews/ almonds, almond butter (out of the jar) with banana, homemade potato chips, tortilla chips, vegetable chips, vegan chocolate…
Some more facts.
- Calories : No idea, I don’t count.
- Water: 2 to 3 liter Water per day.
- Food: I cook, prepare, bake 90% of my meals with only non processed real food ingredients.
- Supplements: I take extra Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, and Afa green Algae.
IN A NUTSHELL
below you can find a small summery of everything I eat and skip during my EVERYDAY meals – Remember 90% NON-PROCESSED REAL FOODS / 10% TREATS.
The ditch list
These are the 4 ingredients I usually skip in my everyday diet. No restriction – BUT over the years I’ve noticed that these are the kinda ingredients I should only eat occasionally + they are also the 4 most common allergens that can cause inflammation and allergies.
- Wheat/gluten – I am German, I loooooove bread and I admittedly enjoy it quite too often, but over the years I have noticed it just doesn’t go with my system. So gluten/bread only occasionally. If so, I usually make sure to go for the healthy spelt/ whole grain option. Homemade gluten-free bread is my jam.
- Refined Sugar – It is proven that sugar is a drug. It is more addictive than heroin, which is absolutely scary don’t you think? + the fact that it causes aging makes SUGAR the number one “healthy living” enemy!
- Dairy – I’m lactose intolerant so cutting out milk as much as I can has always been prior to me. But I do love me some good cheese and cheese pizza, so again milk/cheese is something I eat on my 10% treats base, goat cheese though is a good alternative. Removing milk and dairy products from your diet is probably the absolute, honest-to-goodness most effective thing you can do to clear up your skin.
- Alcohol – I love me some good Pinot Grigio, no doubt, but again only every now and then. What alcohol does to you is not a secret, right?! 😉
The take two list
These are the ingredients I use on a regular day basis. You can choose any of these and create a guilt-free meal, – which supports your system with energy, vitamins and healthy fatty acids.
- Grains – Brown rice, Quinoa, Spelt, Kamut, Millet, Corn, Potato, Sweet potato, Rice cakes, Corncakes, Amaranth, Glutenfree oats/oatmeal, Kidneybeans, Lentils, gluten-free bread
- Fruits – Banana, any kind of berries, watermelon, and so on. There is not a single fruit I know that isn’t healthy for your body, unless you are allergic to one.
- Vegetables – Avocado, Asparagus, Spinach, Cucumber, Zucchini, Broccoli, Carrots, Garlic, Kale, Eggplant, basically every kind of vegetable you can imagine.
- Milk replacement– Almond, Cashew, Rice, Coconut or Oatmilk.
- Protein – Lean beef, chicken breast, lamb, salmon, shrimp, fish in general.
- Eggs – only ORGANIC eggs!!!!
- Nuts – Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Chiaseeds, Macadamia nuts, Pine nuts, Flaxseeds, peanuts in moderation.
- Oil – Coconut oil. I use it for EVERYTHING!!!
- Sweetener – Raw honey, maple syrup, coconut blossom sugar.
- Yogurt replacement – Coconut yogurt.
- Herbs – Any kind.
Clean eating snacks
- Rice cakes or rice cakes with peanut butter & banana.
- Avocado or skinny avocado toast
- Vegetable chips (preferably homemade)
- Salty popcorn (homemade)
- Sweet potatoes chips
- Homemade fruit salad
- Apple / Apple chips
- Banana chips
- Roasted nuts
- Trail mix
- Vegetable sticks with guacamole dip (homemade)
- Raw energy bar
- coconut yogurt with fruits
- green smoothie
- gluten-free bread with smoked salmon or tomato & avocado.
Easy as that!
I will make sure to cook and prepare much more clean-eating recipes on here in the future. Until then, if you have a special request on any kind of recipe from everything listed above, or questions, please let me know.