First of all… Welcome to an all new category here on the blog! CAREER – probably one of the most highly anticipated topics you guys wanted to get insights on. So from now on, I’ll be sharing career life hacks, tips, inspiring content, everyday work struggles, everything else that you guys would like to know and what I think might be helpful… So, lets hop right into today’s subject on “How you can increase your daily lunch break for gaining back your productivity & energy…
Just ask yourself for a second. How do you spend your lunch break? Do you quickly chow down a sandwich at a nearby deli with your eyes glued to your iPhone? Or do you devour a salad at your desk with one hand on your keyboard? Perhaps you skip lunch altogether because you have “too much on your plate.” right?! Well, let me tell you – you are just one of the 90% of all the workers out there that usually do it that way! We simply get overwhelmed with everything these days, especially at work! Final result; – lack of creativity, productivity, dullness, moodiness, and sometimes we even get burned out! The secret to a great work/life balance is simple – yet only a few really follow the rules!
Balance is not something that you find, it is something that you – only you – create… Master it!
I believe that our lunch break/hour is our chance to get refocused, re-energized, and refueled (literally) for the rest of our day. I’ve personally noticed that the way I spend my lunch break truly affects how productive I am for the rest of the day, – how quickly I get started once I get back to my desk (if I’m creating content), how effective & productive I am after lunch, and how I feel throughout the entire day after my break. Only if I use my 30/60 minutes wisely I can truly perform at my best again! Below I’ve listed my easy to follow tips to truly get out the very best of your lunch break – no matter your occupation.
Practical guide to use your lunch break to the fullest
1.Take a real break – Get up from your desk, or stop doing whatever you might work on and go!!!! Like seriously, GO – take your 30 or 60 minutes that you got and truly let everything behind – take that BREAK!!! You deserve it & you NEED it! There is nothing that can’t be finished after you are back!
2. Eat – Now you’re probably thinking “Maya what are you talking about, I always eat! – yup, we all do! But its “HOW you eat during your lunch break”, that’s important! Try it out for yourself! Leave iPhone, laptop, iPad, even magazines aside – sit in front of your meal and start only focusing on your intake. Enjoy every bite and take it all in. Just focus on eating even if its for 15 minutes only – then you can go back to whatever you might like to do… checking your phone, reading etc… But first – EAT!!!!!
3. Enjoy your food – Like I already mentioned above, – truly try enjoying and taking in your food! It will make a huge difference on your overall well being and will prevent from over eating + it will even stop ravenousness.
4. Avoid ALL screens – This sounds simple, but it is remarkably difficult for some people to do. You’ve been secretly checking your phone all morning and you can do so after lunch… try to give your brain a blue light break! Try it for yourself and watch what happens.
5. Run some errands – Remember you wanted to buy some groceries, and also drop of a small package at the post office. Now is the time – get going!
6. Meditate – probably my favorite thing to do during my lunch break, besides meeting my friends! Meditating! I know this one is the hardest for most of you all… You might think now “How am I gonna do that?” and “What will my coworkers/everyone else think”. But honestly, just mind your own business and don’t think about what others might think of you. Meditating, closing your eyes and letting everything go – even if its for 5 minutes – will make all the difference.
7. Meet up with someone – My favorite “rebooting my energy” thing to do. Taking 30 minutes for a coffee date ( like I did today) with your best friend, husband/boyfriend, mom/dad – whoever you’d like to see, truly does wonders… it is so refreshing to sit down over a coffee/cake and get your mind into a different space while catching up with your loved one!
8. Get movin’ – another great thing to shut off your brain and regain productivity… Go for a walk!!! Get movin – be active! Maybe you can even plan in a quick workout session (depends on how long your lunch break is), or you simply get up go to the next available room/ space at your office and take some time to stretch it out!
9. Read a book – you got 30 minutes, right? After using the first 15 minutes for truly enjoying your meal, now you can use the other 15 to read in your favorite book, a magazine or anything else that catches your attention! But again – NO screens! Don’t you dare read something online or check IG for a second.
10. Go to the park – Connecting with nature for your 30 or 60-minute lunch break will reboot your brain drastically!
11. Get a Manicure – Seriously, treat yourself!
12. Be creative – Whenever I have a break from my very variable jobs (like running to castings, doing model or acting jobs on set, or blogging) I always have a little booklet with me where I take notes, draw something, plan new content for the blog or simply develop something new, write down business ideas… Be creative!
These ideas have been proven to be very affective to me, and I sincerely hope they can be inspiring for you too! Try them out and see what works best for you for a better work/life balance!