Chocolate has always been fascinating to me, not only because I love the taste of it so much, more so, it’s what chocolate lets you do. The simple fact that you can create almost anything with it and more importantly, that chocolate sweetens up even the slightest moments, is simply incredible! Do we even know someone who doesn’t like chocolate?!?! NOPE!!
So, for today’s recipe I wanted to create something special out of 3 different chocolate flavors. Bold and dark, with a pleasant bitterness in combination of a creamy white glaze, paired with a melting & crunchy 3-ingredient Giotto topping to complement the intensity of the cake.
HEAVEN ON EARTH.
What you’ll need for your gluten-free Giotto cake.
- 120 g margarine
- 200g brown sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate 90%
- 300g zucchini (yesssss zucchini!!!)
- 100g almond flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200g hazelnut brittle
- 200g firm nougat
- 300g white cooking chocolate
This mouthwatering, gluten-free zucchini chocolate cake is super easy to recreate. Wait what???!!! ZUCCHINI!??! yesssss you heard it right… If you’ve never tried putting vegetables inside your cake, NOW is the time. You will thank me later! It’s moist & light … and the best part about this chocolate zucchini cake? You will NOT realize there’s zucchini inside. When in reality– there’s 3oog of it inside!! THREE HUNDRED!!! The chocolate completely masks any and all signs of vegetables. TRUST ME!
- Mix eggs for about 10 mins until fluffy. (stirrer or Kitchen Aid required)
- Melt margarine and put it aside.
- Shred zucchini.
- Chop chocolate into small chips.
- Place almond flour, sugar, baking powder and vanilla in a bowl – mix texture.
- Now, – slowly adding the margarine to the eggs; stir for another 2 mins.
- Add flour, baking powder, vanilla, sugar mix, – mix until you get a fluffy texture.
- Gently folding in zucchini and chopped chocolate.
- Place dough into a cake pan.
- Preheat oven onto 170 degrees and bake for about 60 mins.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the spring-form pan and place it onto a cake platter. Let it cool for at least an hour…
Once the cake is completely cooled down, it’s time for the glossy finish! For a perfect coating I use my all time favorite couverture from ViVANI. This white cooking chocolate is made out of only the finest organic, raw ingredients… It’s incrediably smooth and creamy consistency makes it not only super easy to bake with, more importantly it is THE most delishious finish for everything.
- Slowly melt couverture in a water bath.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, turn down the stove and wait for 3-5 mins so that the chocolate gets a bit of a firm texture again.
- Gently poor melted chocolate over cake, let it flow easily until entire top is covered with chocolate.
- Make sure to save a tiny bit (approx. 2Tbsp.) of the couverture for later on.
Keep refrigerated while continue baking.
Now we are coming to my favorite part of the cake. The TOPPING! Not every cake necessarily needs something on top, but I think it always adds a little extra to it. Even tho the cake tastes yummy on its own already, these Giotto’s beat everything!
- Cut nougat to small squares
- Place firm nougat between both hands; – shape it into a little ball.
- Place hazelnut brittle in a small tray; – roll nougat balls until everything is covered.
- Crizzle ViVANI couverture on top of the nougat/hazelnut brittle ball and let it cool for 15 mins.
You just created the most delicious, homemade Giotto’s!
Alright, ready for the last step?!
Take the cake out of the fridge, get your couverture leftover and place 8 small chocolate blots on top of the cake… place Giotto’s on each blot right on.
DONE and ready to enjoy!
Whether if you want to create this cake for a birthday party, for a Sunday coffee date with your friends, to surprise your loved ones, or maybe you want to treat yourself with a special something… This cake will definitely sweeten up any occasion.
Have fun recreating!
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: approx. 80 mins
- Servings: 8
- Allergy information: GLUTEN-FREE, contains NUTS.